Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Dragon Nails with Whats Up Nails Tropic Flakies and Scales Stencils

Press  Sample

Hey there!  Well it's just over a month away from the start of  Game of Thrones seventh season and I just couldn't wait to do some dragon nails.  I swear I was going to hold off but I lost all my will power when I was sent a couple of Whats Up Nails products - the Tropic Flakies and the Scales Stencils.  These could've been used for very different nail looks but I was so stuck on dragons that I wore two different dragon designs with them.  But I did also do a flower-y one with the flakies so it's not all destructive mythical creatures.

Dragon Nail Art


$21.75 USD
0.4 grams


Whats Up Nails has a whole line of these color-shifting iridescent flakies.  I've already reviewed the mermaid flakies so I was thrilled when they sent me these.  The tropic flakies are on the opposite end of the color spectrum.  These shift between red, gold and green.  It was when I saw that color shift that I knew I wanted to include them in a dragon mani.  

Dragon Nail Stamping

Using the flakies over color doesn't really show off their vibrancy but it does look darn cool.  I applied them over a gradient of Moonflower Polish Rojo, Anaranjado and Amarillo over Did (all previously reviewed here).  Applying them is really easy.  I just got some on a fan brush and put them on when the top coat was tacky.  Then I stamped a dragon scene from Bundle Monster BM-S187 and finished with KBShimmer Clearly On Top.    

Dragon Nail Stamping

Since the colourful base really didn't show the shift, I put the flakies over black as well.  Look at those colours!  See why they made me think of dragons?

Whats Up Nails Tropic Flakies

But, as their name suggests, they could also be the colours of tropical flowers.  I stamped the negative space flowers from UberChic Beauty 15-03 with Mundo de Unas White for a floral look.  

Whats Up Nails Tropic Flakies

Whats Up Nails Tropic Flakies

$3.75 USD
12 stencils


The Scales stencils are as great as all the other stencils I've tried from Whats Up Nails mainly because the insides peel away from the stencil so easily.  These come as a sheet of 12 22x28 mm stencils.  Usually people use these as mermaid scales but I went a little more muted direction.  

Whats Up Nails Scales Stencils

I applied the stencils over a black base and then gradiented A England Holy Grail and Dragon (couldn't resist).

Whats Up Nails Scales Stencils

Then I stamped with Bundle Monster BM-XL151 and Born Pretty Store Silver to complete my dragon look.  

Dragon Nail Stamping

I truly believe Whats Up Nails is one of the best distributors of nail art products so I don't hesitate to recommend them.  Everything I've tried so far has been fantastic.  I can't wait to see what they come out with next!

Available at What's Up Nails

'Til next time...

No comments: